EP 33 - FROM GYPSY TO AUSSIE MUSIC ROYALTY - WENDY MATTHEWS
The First Lady of Australian Music
Over 10 years ago, singer Wendy Matthews quit Bondi for the NSW mid-north coast. On four-hectare mountain-top property near Coffs Harbour, she and some mates - including actor Russell Crowe - built a tepee using heavy, waterproof canvas. The Canadian-born singer of '90s hits The Day You Went Away and I Don't Wanna Be with Nobody but You would often leave Sydney about 5pm on a Friday and by midnight would be lying in her double bed with the roof flap open, gazing at the trees and stars. She'd spend not only weekends but weeks at a time in the tepee.
This week on the Mojo Radio show we explore the woman behind some of the greatest songs of the past 3 decades.
In this show we cover:
- Chasing Dreams
- Having confidemce in your craft (Finding your voice)
- Song writing and what her songs mean to her
- The song writing process
- The finer details of the creative process that can be transposed to the business world
- How to "Get out of your own way"
- Getting yourself "in the lane"
- The upside of change